Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Remember Me - Remember it

From the vault:

Last week, when I finally saw Summit Entertainment’s latest flick, “Remember Me,” I didn’t know what I was in for. I definitely wasn’t prepared for the experience that awaited me.

The film lives up the promise of the lesson it presents in its opening line: “Gandhi said that whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it because nobody else will.” “Remember Me” proves just why this is important. It tells the story of a young man, Tyler, who is struggling with finding himself when he meets a girl, Ally, who seems to put his life into perspective, but is just as damaged as he is.

The movie, however, is definitely not a love story. It’s so much more than that with an underlying emotion so powerful; it’s difficult to put into words. Even more impressive, is that it is a film that will stick with you long after you’ve left the theater. The images from the end of the movie still haunt me a week later.

There is a tie as to which is the most shocking aspect of this film: the ending or the fact that Robert Pattinson, who plays Tyler, can actually act. Having only seen him in the “Twilight” films and the fourth “Harry Potter” movie, I was under the impression that he was just another pretty face in Hollywood – a celebrity, not an actor. This movie has me doubting this assumption though. He is equally matched by Emilie de Ravin (Ally), who does a masterful job balancing Pattinson. The rest of the cast is equally compelling, my only complaint being the lack of compatibility between Pattinson and Pierce Brosnan, who plays his father. This was unfortunate given the large number of dramatic scenes the two share.

I won’t spoil the ending for you, but it came as a complete shock to me. All-in-all, “Remember Me” is a must-see. Just, not if you’re looking for the feel-good movie of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment